Motion Photography

This week, I learned about capturing motion in photography. I learned that for capturing frozen motion, I need to use a faster shutter speed, while capturing blurred motion requires a slower shutter speed.

I did two different shoots to get the best shots possible. I took some friends up to Grand Targhee Ski Resort in Wyoming. We spent the end of the day in a small terrain park. We took the easiest runs possible to get there because I was extremely nervous to be snowboarding with my brand new camera!

The next day, I asked my friend Hailey, who I’ve had a few dance classes with, to meet me at a dance studio on campus for a quick shoot. She was so patient with me asking her to do the same thing over and over again while I adjusted my settings.

I’ve included the original and edited versions of each photo.

. . . . . . . . . .

Frozen Motion

nikkielliott-snowboardingfreezeoriginal

Original: Frozen Snowboarding: 01-19-17; 3:45pm; Grand Targhee, Wyoming; FL: 80mm; f/4.0; 1/1000; Canon T6

Edited: Sharpened, cooled temperature, lightened, cropped, added saturation

Edited: Sharpened, cooled temperature, lightened, cropped, added saturation

Original: Frozen Dance: 01-20-17; 9:00 am; BYU Idaho Dance Studio; FL: 18mm; f/4.0; 1/1300; Canon T6

Original: Frozen Dance: 01-20-17; 9:00 am; BYU Idaho Dance Studio; FL: 18mm; f/4.0; 1/1300; CanonT6

Edited: Color

Edited: Cooled temperature, sharpeded, removed outlet, highlights & shadows, lowered saturation, cropped, straightened

Edited: Black & White

Edited: Black & White

Blurred Motion

Original: Blurred Snowboarding: 01-19-17; Grand Targhee; FL: 75mm; f/7.1; 1/100, Canon T6

Original: Blurred Snowboarding: 01-19-17; 3:45 pm; Grand Targhee; FL: 75mm; f/7.1; 1/100, Canon T6

Edited: Cooled temperature, cropped, sharpened

Edited: Cooled temperature, cropped, sharpened

Original: Blurred Dance: 01-20-17; 9:00 am; BYU Idaho Dance Studio; FL: 29mm; f/4.5; 1/60, Canon T6

Edited: Cooled Temperature, lightened, highlights & shadows, cropped, straightened, removed outlet

Edited: Black & White

Edited: Black & White

. . . . . . . . . .

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Motion Photography

1. Hey Nikki!
    These look great! I love that you showed your before and after! Your stop motion photos are really strong! I like the dance pictures those dance rooms are tricky to White balance with the natural light & tungsten light contrast. So good call on going B&W. & of course the snowboarding shot is great! You put a lot into set up, timing, and even just getting to that location, and it really paid off!

2. Pingback: Student Highlights: W17 Comm 300 – Motion | Caryn Esplin | Fine Art Photography